Tuesday, June 20, 2006

How can you abstract yourself and start with nothing, Hegel, how? Can you tell me that?


I finished The People of Paper yesterday instead of attending bio100, introduction to biology for nonmajors, which is the last class I need to pass before graduating. I figured I'd just read for a few minutes before lab while sucking on a coffee, but the lure of Merced de Papel and the scarred tongues and lips that had tasted proved seductive and crushing in the best way. I haven't read too many novels on my own in the past six months--only People and Infinite Jest come to mind--but they've both slayed me something fierce.
With only ten days(ish) until we leave Tempe for Tucson by way of Oregon, I'm trying to pack up my books, trying to figure out what I should read before I start school in August. I think that means I'm bringing along some Kierkegaard and a few books of poems to Oregon, but mostly I'm saving some dough for a glorious trip to Powell's poetry section. I'd like to pick up Beckian Fritz-Goldberg's new book, something by Dean Young, more Jane Miller, Richard Siken's Crush, and maybe a few sweet-a superises. Also, definitely have to pick up the summer issue of Tin House, featuring the likes of the great Diana Park. The more I hear about things Arizona MFAers are doing, the more frightened I am about being down there. I really hope that I make the most of the opportunity down there--put my balls to the notebook, pass it around the workshop, and let everyone have a cut at them. I pray for buoyancy in my poetry, causing each poem to rise to the top of the terd pile.
I'm going to smoke a cigar and put together some notes I've been scribbling in the Moleskin, hopefully try and come up with a few prompts for some poem drafts. It's the first time in a while that I've got multiple poems in various stages of draft/semi-polish all at once. It feels good to be able to have enough newish stuff sitting around to be able to choose what I want to work on each day.
I'm still not tattooed; it seems that it is impossible for me to have a smooth transaction with a tattoo artist.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

It seems to me you have some good stuff ahead of you. Tucson...not sure what I think about that place. I know you will do well there and it is a breath of fresh air out of Tempe.
The only time I have any memory of Tucson was with two sisters,an afro, and tight pants. I believe you spell it... d r a m a

blue arm, black back

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home