Thursday, April 26, 2007

The World means You to me


Adrian is graduating college: nice job! CalBap won't be the same, nor should it be, without you. I miss you, and will try and make it out asap.

Coocher-chella is going down. I'm over it--sounds like a bunch of lame crap this year anyway. Sorry to the fans of Arctic Monkees and Bratmobile or whoever's playing. Yeah, Bjork's played-out, too, so skratch that one. What music is good anymore? I'm probably too old to know, but I have to say that many things mid-'90s were fine, fine musically. I've been thinking about this, about why this is, and I've narrowed it down to something. (I think what I'm about to say is one of my main looked-for things in music now that I've nailed it down.) I don't really think I like music that's ironic. That's why I was so into hardcore and all that midwest indierock from back then. That's probably why I've been less into the northwest music, traditionally: it had a bead on the culture, and the culture was ironic. For a long time I thought that my mid-'90s faves were looking back to non-ironic times, but now I'm beginning to see that they were really avant-garde in their tone. It's too bad that they all tired to court the mall-punk clique and had to pay the morgage with fluff. My favorite Joan of Arc stuff isn't the weirdest, or most normal-sounding: I can trace my favorite to least-favorite directly through the levels of irony in each album. Maybe that's a lie. Offically, this post marks my irrevokable foray into the land of has-beens (or never-wases). Sad day, sad day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Adrian Martinez said...

first off.. im pretty sure thats the best title for a blog entry ive ever seen. secondly, thank you and i hope to see you soon as well. i like that youre taking Polaroids again. it makes me wanna buy one (like the kind you have... those OG ones).

12:24 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Only love can fill the void, when the world has taken it's toll
Hand in hand, by your side, we'll walk down this path together
I'll take you to the place where promises will never break

To the advent
To the advent
To the advent of a miracle

True love is to die for and is why
I cry, for you
And the pain you feel and feed can heal
If you'd just walk with me toward
the light

Strongarm - The Advent of a Miracle
April 22, 1997

4:33 PM  
Blogger matt said...

HEEEY...crap..i forgot my log in info and i couldnt sign in anono.. so now i have to rewrite what i have previously written... i did have my baby..and i wish for you email...so that i may keep in better contact with you mah brohan...

7:58 AM  
Blogger la gloria, la gloria, la gloria said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:14 AM  
Blogger la gloria, la gloria, la gloria said...

Let's effing drink some iced coffee, like the old time with the beer bottle.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home