Thursday, June 22, 2006

Got this letter in the mail today. It wasn't mine, but it looked interesting so I opened it.


Dear Javier,
I don’t know if you remember me. But you remember Frank Musser? We both met you at a club in Tempe, when you were with your band Stained Glass Door, and then Iron Butterfly came on. At first Frank couldn’t remember who you were.
After all these years, a week ago, Frank suddenly remembered how he met you! It was at some big party out in the desert with 10 thousand people, it was your birthday, and he thinks you were in a band called Joshua Tree. He told me you worked for a dairy company and had to cut your hair for the job (you told him this at a party long ago). This was in the early 80’s before I met Frank. He was on acid at the party.
You gave me some tapes, I still have Stained Glass Door, and Space Rig. We talked a couple of times on the phone, then we lost touch. (Frank is no good writing letters. I’m his common law wife. We met in ’92.) We moved to Austin in ’00, thinking I would get in a band, but that hasn’t happened even thought I’ve played drums over 18 years and I play better than most guys. Oh well. I keep trying. (All these blokes.)
Why don’t you come and move to Austin? You play unique music! I can be your drummer. (We don’t own a vehicle.) Phoenix and the surrounding area ain’t nothing but a dead-end ghetto and that one of many reasons why we had to get out. Fred no longer does drugs, but he kept running into old connections plus the cops kept coming by and asking us questions about this person and that person, if we hadn’t left, Fred might have gone to jail or have to go to court testifying against them, possibly endangering our lives. (Plus he lived here once.) A lot of people Frank knew ended up in prison.
You’d make it fine out here. Frank told me your parents were rich and you didn’t really have to work. It’s hard to find work out here. I’ve been looking for 3 years, Frank has his job secured.
Now, I hope you remember me and Frank! Please keep this to yourself, as Frank doesn’t want ANYONE to know where we are, (but he trusts only you, in Arizona) Don’t tell ANYONE about us.
Everybody here is in to computers. We are proud to say we don’t own a computer, no credit cards, no cell phone, no SUV, Frank will never cut his hair or stop wearing bellbottoms (he gets hassled for the latter). That’s why I hooked up with him! But I do have an 8 piece double bass drum set, he doodles on an electric guitar, and we life for music—CDs, DVD—concerts, clubs, rock concerts, records, 45’s, rock movies. Austin AIN’T “the live music capitol” as its always said—that’s a myth, total bullshit. All the big rock bands play 95 miles off in San Antonio! We have a few good rock bands here: Tio Camera (psychedelic), Igniter (80’s type meal) Big Balls (AC/DC type band), Powderbum, The sword (metal) Broken Teeth, Jolly Garogers, Charter Bulldogs (hard rock) and some great blues and blues-rock bands are here, best punk band is Cruisereight, good hard-grunge band The Guest.
Rap didn’t come to Austin until 2002, much to our disgust. We don’t need that sh*t!
I could send up a photo of us but I want to see if you write back first.


yours,
Frank & Maggie

P.S. Do you know a “femmy guy” named Zam Abaullah, a bass player with real long hair, who sang and played in a band called Shadowplay? I’ve been wanting to get in touch with him. Last I heard he lived in Tempe. He talked about moving to Austin so for I haven’t ran into him (lost touch in ’97 or 98). -maggie

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

oh man, I think that was the coolest thing I have read in months.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Joseph Mains said...

No doubt! I was almost ready to refer the chick drummer to JJ, but I doubt he'd want to rock to Texas.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home