Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I live here


Liz Ku was in Flagstaff to help Matt move a few weeks ago, and some christian kid asked her what she's doing in Turkey, giving her the opportunity to pull some imperialistic bullshit if she wanted to--score some Private Christian College Points--but she said, perfectly, "I live there." I like that so much. One neednt move somewhere to exploit the benefits/impose one's ideas on another place--they can actually (!) become invested in the place that they live. I've never really been intentional about that in the places I've moved, sadly. I think my circumstances in life traditionally kind of dictate that when I move somewhere I actually have to invest on some level, school, work, kid, but my moves have always been easy: other parts of Arizona or California. If I went to law school in Boston or art school in Providence or New Haven, would I actually get involved or would I just be putting in my three years until I got my degree and be out? (I think this is the sort of blog post that I'd hate to read.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

or you could just move to Brooklyn.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Adrian Martinez said...

speaking of moving, i get my first apartment today!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home