Sunday, September 03, 2006

Weekend wonders: Daddy blunders.


We went on a walk to get some coffee at Epic (the place with the really, really ugly hip chick) this morning. Inbetween Epic and our place exists a number of large, impressive, neo-classical buildings that house some frats or whatever. It was overcast and cool and smelled like it may rain. It felt almost coastal, but with the best part of the Sonora mixed in--that desert rain smell that's just so sexy, it's one of the best smells ever. I really do think it is a sexy, sexy smell. So, just as we're walking by the back on one of the frat houses, the back gate of the place opens up and out walks this young, pretty girl in a skirt and messy hair holding her pointy party shoes from the night before. This is at like 6:45am, here. And she walks out the back gate and starts walking back toward campus holding her shoes. We just looked at each other after she walked by--I mean we were right there when she came out of the gate--and about died. I kid you not, it was one of those archetypal moments that every American should witness before they die.

In other news, yesterday my moms came down to see us. We went for breakfast at some little cafe by our house where they have a courtyard and a little, historic fountain. Onna wanted to go see the fountain, so I said ok and just kind of kept an eye on her from our table. So, she starts to try climbing up the wall for the fountain which makes me decide to get up to be a little closer to her because of the water and all. There were the usual Saturday Morning Cyclists sitting all around having coffee and talking about their bank accounts and their new carbon fiber bicycles and all. Some lesbians walking dogs, you know what I'm talking about. And Onna's pretty freaking quick, so she was on top of the wall dancing around before I was even close, and in--obviously--slow motion I saw her start backing up when she saw I was coming toward her, and when I was about ten feet away she ran out of wall and fell backwards into the fountain, sinking like a little pebble. Well everyone in the courtyard lost their crap because everyone was watching her dance up there because she's so freaking cute and all, so now they're just loosing it something awful, but, you know me, I play it cool because I used to lifeguard and in about 1/3 of a second I'm scooping her out of the water and she's a little scared and all, but she's definitely fine. After about twenty seconds of holding me around the neck and crying a little because she was scared she says, "Daddy, I fell down and drank the water." Man, my heart sank like the pebble she sank like. So, fortunately, we had some extra clothes for her, I changed her, and after breakfast we went back to the fountain and she played a little more, with me right over her shoulder.

2 Comments:

Blogger matt said...

oh man, that's priceless, both stories..sh!t like that used to happen to me when i was little ..cept my dad would just sit there and laugh.

on another note, you gotta love frat whores...mmm lovely..

8:18 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

It's always fun to watch people take the Walk of Shame. Ha!

Also, except for the fact that I've never seen Onna, I totally pictured the second pieve of your story, heart sinking and all. Thanks, man.

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home