Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bad Men Drink Bad Beer.

Lately, I've been thinking of band names. Mostly because I don't have to go to school any more, and that means that I can let my little mind wonder when it comes to banding it. I'd probably never play in a band again unless it was with people I cared about, so it probably won't ever happen, but I'm practicing just in case. I don't think I used to like the band name The Gloria Record, but I like it right now, and I've been listening to them early, early in the morning when I'm drinking Stumptown coffee out of the best stovetop "espresso" machine in the entire world.

I've now been at my job for 1.5 weeks. It's long enough to know that I could be good at this job thing if I wanted to. It's also long enough to know that my calling is probably professorial. For now, I think that I should give working hard and getting serious and real with myself a shot for a piece of time. Going back to school, whenever I end up applying, will be welcome & glorious. I'll promise to remember what a fortunate thing it is to become over-educated. For now, tho, it's back to sharpening pencils tomorrow morning. Casual Friday has always been some sort of sick joke to I who had no access to how truly glorious it feels to sport one's denims to the jobsite. I'm the first Mains man to do a job one doesn't wear their denims to, and this "casual Friday" event keeps me in touch with my humble beginnings. So does not having any money or a/c in my car and living with my mom, but, you know, the preverbal shit happens, I guess.

One thing gradschool taught me is a deep and abiding appreciation for cheap, midwestern beer. Christians don't get drunk, so they drink beer they can taste. It makes sense, and, plus, if you get called out at small group for being a satanic alcoholic you can appeal to the authority of Luther (if you're a douchebag), or foodies (if you're fat). That's what's great about cheap beer. You still don't have to get drunk off it, but there's no saving you from just being a person that is ready to drink some drinks. Another good thing about cheap beer is it's made out of ridge-y potato chips, so you can't have just one. Plus, I think it looks cool to sometimes drink beer out of the bottle, and there's no way I'm going to waste a Rogue by not being able to taste hardly any of it out of the bottle. That shit's made for a glass! No--High Life only tastes good from the bottle. Waylon & Willie sound better that way, too. Have you ever listened to "Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be poets" with a Boddington's in your hand? No, you haven't. Good beer still is, and tastes, better than bad beer, but bad beer tastes good, too. It's what bad men drink. In fact, I'm going to change my post title. It initially said The Gloria Record. And, finally, the coolest bar in Tucson, The Che, has PBR cans for 1.25. Know what that spells? M.F.A.

8 Comments:

Blogger Adrian Martinez said...

nice to hear that you are practicing. thats always important. i would appeal to Luther on a lot of things, but not drinking. i wish your new job was in California. Talk to you soon Joe. Love, Adrian.

6:53 AM  
Blogger EmporianOvsaks said...

Good beer is tasty but I think you get more of a digging a ditch type satisfaction from a bottle (or can) of your midwest brew of choice. I have to argue the coolest bar in Tucson is not the che but "East Coast Super Subs." That place rules. Soft pretzels and mustard, bottle of Iron City Lite and all that east coast MLB, NHL, NBA, NCAA junk on the walls.. it's great.

12:24 PM  
Blogger EmporianOvsaks said...

By the way ---- the last comment was made by BJ Ovsak

12:25 PM  
Blogger Joseph Mains said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Joseph Mains said...

O shit man East Coast is so good! But it closes so early! I think it'd be the perfect place if it stayed open later. At least late enough to keep drinking until The Bled goes on across the street!

I was actually thinking of you, BJ, when I was writing this. If I weren't such a douchebag when we lived together I could have learned this lesson pre-Tucson. I miss you, and we should jam to East Coast soon.

5:38 PM  
Blogger EmporianOvsaks said...

I only wish we could get some pretzels and beer at East Coast.. they have the best Darryl Strawberry posters, etc there. Anyway, we picked up and moved to wheatland... Emporia, Kansas. PBR is gospel here. Your tattoos make me jealous, keep up the good work!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Natty Light is Sacto's cheap of choice.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Casale said...

Oh my oh my. I would give my left ovary to be sitting at Che's, drinking cans of PBR with you and E. Saul Bull again.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home