Monday, September 11, 2006

In a one horse open slay

My first batch of poems is being discussed in workshop tomorrow. I hate to sound like a silly parent, but I really hope that everyone in my workshop reads them carefully and thinks about them. It's difficult enough to put your little creations out there for everyone to lace into, the least you can hope for is well thought insight. There are ten pages and like six poems, and I'm really interested in what everyone has to say.

Last night I was reading submissions at the Sonora Review (the literary journal that the MFAers here put out) and I came across a submission from a girl I know in the MFA program at ASU. I was in Norman Dubie's workshop with her last fall, and she was kind of an asshole the few times she bothered talking to me, even in a casual environment. Thankfully the poems she sent in were not very strong, and someone else had already "no'd" them, which means that my no would be the one that killed the submission. If they were good I would have wanted to kill it anyway but wouldn't have, which would have made me pissed a little bit. Being as they were it was with a happy heart that I put them in the kill pile. I guess it just goes to show you not to be an asshole to people in your classes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

holla

6:02 PM  
Blogger matt said...

i think the only way you should be a cock wad to someone, is if youre super successful and your failures dont shine as they do when youre a student of your craft. cause, when youre a student of your craft, youre just that...a student...of..your craft..not a master, not even a professional..gather the education..in your case get published or whatever (or in the beyatches case you speak of) then, if so inclined, put on the a-hole front..but..i really dont find that advantageous to ones personal growth..cause we all poop, we all die..and at any given moment, we're all fools..and when youre an a-hole...everyone will laugh..and enjoy your short comings. as for me, well, i was born this way so..i cant help it..i like to think of myself as a friendly a-hole..landing on the side of sarcasm and humor..but then again what the f@ck do i care..hahahaha

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home