Thursday, September 14, 2006

Spork 5.1


Yes, friends, the most slaying and arts&crafts literary journal is releasing a new issue this weekend. Spork issue 5.1. I recently took a bookbinding class from one of the founding editors and lead binder, Drew, at the UA Poetry Center, and I now possess the skills needed to make a fine, lasting, useful, simple--yet beautiful--hardbound book. This new issue of theirs has been bound at Club Congress nonstop for the past three days, and there are pieces of cut-up paintings on each cover, from what I hear. (I should be getting mine in the mail this weekend.) I've recently submitted some poems to them, and I'd be happier than a terd freely floating downstream if they took some of my poems.

The three of us are slaying along down here in the Old Pueblo. I have just completed a bicycle build up for L. She's been wanting a feisty, hip, non-"girlbike" bike for a little while, and so last week we hit up the BICAS bike co-op down here and found her a cool old black Peugeot that I stripped all the stuff off of, just leaving the frame and cranks and a few other little things (brakes, headset, etc.) and found some bitchin' steel handlebars and some good cloth bartape all that sort of crap, and ended up with a bike that I'm really proud to say I built up. Most importantly, though, she's really excited about it, she's riding it and trying to remember what it's like to work a bicycle on the road (you know, they say you never forget, and that's fine and true, but initially, riding in the street and using brakes and getting on/off gracefully isn't automatic...). We've been looking for a good trailer for Onna at a fair price for a while, but it's one of those things that everyone wants to find barely used; I've been told that we're just buying a new one if I don't come up with a good deal soon on craigslist.

I haven't been able to get up to Phoenix for a sitting in a few weeks, and I'm sick of people thinking I'm just one of those dudes with a bad sticker tattoo on my arm. I'm excited for Adam to post some pictures of his stuff, too (soon! soon!). OK, I'm taking Little One to story time at the library. Keep it real (and posi-core) out there in the computer-abyss.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

I am thinking on splurging on another bike...a road bike this time. I will get the tattoos up soon...healing, looks like shit right now.


love

12:39 PM  
Blogger Joseph Mains said...

nice work on both counts!

12:52 PM  
Blogger matt said...

sweet...i gotta huffy cruiser...but im not afrait to wreck it!...my wife on the other hand has a narly cruiser with splash guards, bowling pins and martini glass's all over it..and it weighs like 300lbs..damn thing.. i want to see your creation..

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home