Tuesday, October 31, 2006

So many people seem to know about money; why is it these same people can't understand Christ?


...Straight from the new Joan of Arc album. Cutting, insightful, funny, brilliant. I had my workshop for this long poem I'm working on today. I'm never sure how those things go at first, but I'm slowly learning how little these workshops matter in the larger scope of things. And, interestingly, the term "workshop" that we use to call our classes in writing school comes from Michelangelo, when he'd gather together a small group of his best students and they'd just make shit out of iron together, talk about eachother's crap, and maybe support eachother a bit. I guess that's what we do here, but I don't like the name "workshop" and I calling it "writing school" is funny, but inaccurate--they don't teach you writing at all. They just put you with other writers at varying levels and let you hash it out with everyone, let you read a lot, and let you feel sheltered by the academy so you can work to develop your art and experiment. That being the case, today I proprosed to another MFAer here that the program simply be called "buddy time." Because that's really the point: hang out with other wanna-be writers and make up stupid stories while you screw eachother in the student lounge and at the library, tell crappy grammatical jokes, and drop names of critical theory bastards, etc.
So, yeah, buddy time is the best thing ever!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

woe..you screw in the lounge.??..hmm..can i like..i dont know..make a guest appearance?..i like the sounds of that..!!..my buddy...bed buddy...my buddy and me..

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you get my second email... and do you and paul really have a song like that?

9:24 AM  
Blogger la gloria, la gloria, la gloria said...

hash brown thunder crown.

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

joe, email me back man!

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home