Sunday, September 17, 2006

ZOO


So, I haven't been to the zoo since I've been a vegetarian, which, save a very brief introductory stint at CBU and the momentary initial lack of judgment involved therein, has been ten years. That's wired. Anyway, Onna loves animals so freaking much and Lindsey and I were trying to decide what sort of really fun family thing we could to yesterday, so we ended up at the Tucson Zoo. (Matt, Phx is next on the list, no worries.) So it's been at least ten years since the zoo for me, and I have to admit to having a really great time. I don't know if this holds for anywhere else, but in Tucson you can get so close to the animals that it's almost unnerving. And then there's just turtles and whatever running around in what can't be called proper stalls or cages or whatever. Take, for example, this photo we captured of these two feisty animals doing the Mookie Blaylock in the middle of the lawn for everyone to see. Seriously, the littlest kids were just laughing 'cos they didn't know what was shakin' down. But the six year olds had hypothesis and more. "Aaah! Mom, the turtles are fighting! Dylan--come'ere and check out the fighting turtles!..." I wasn't the only dad to snap a quick photo, obviously.

School's going better. I met with some good poets today outside of my workshop and we got a lot of positively artistic things accomplished. It was the first time I really felt like I belonged here and was appreciated by the other people in the program. It's probably just my being insecure, but either way, it's good to feel like you're earning your keep.

5 Comments:

Blogger matt said...

woe...that's actually a cool thing you just witnessed..the turtles "doing the deed"...if you look at it maturely it's kind of amazing..seens as if those tortoises' are like 100 yrs old..
call me when you come up this way and i'll try to hook you up at the phx zoo...sometimes i can and sometimes i cant..

6:53 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Joe, you and I had a long talk once about things...and one of the thing that came out of your mouth was..."If you want to eat a bacon cheese burger in front of one of those hardcore vegan dudes, then do it." I remember that. The conversation was about something more important but I liked when you said that. I eat them all the time now. Seriously...all the freakin time.

10:49 AM  
Blogger matt said...

LOL, adam youre too much...

11:04 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Hey Joe, I am suprised I randomly found your blog after checking out Paul's. Anyway, I am glad I did. Good to hear you are doing well. I hope the writing is working out.

12:59 PM  
Blogger la gloria, la gloria, la gloria said...

Dedaleedelightful...All the times.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home